With the new year, I know everyone is on the fast track to eating healthier, exercising, losing weight, etc. including myself!
I find it hard to stick to healthy eating, especially when I’m in a rush. Having quick and easy healthy snacks really helps to keep me satisfied and nourished until my next meal. Sometimes it helps to just keep snacks on hand in case you get hungry (an “emergency meal”), otherwise you might experience a blood pressure drop, feel nervous, and overeat at your next meal.
Here are some healthy snack ideas!:
Fresh Foods (snacks that need refrigeration or should be eaten fresh)
- baby carrots
- celery and cheese
- easy-to-eat fruit with skin like: apples, bananas, peaches, pears
- no-mess fruits like: grapes, blueberries
- frozen fruit (peeled and chopped bananas or grapes are great frozen)
- cheese (cut your own slices, string cheese sticks, or mini-wheels)
- boiled eggs
- edamame (high in protein)
Drinks (pour into a bottle or thermos and you’re ready to go!)
- smoothies (you can freeze chopped fruit for a quick blend and add leafy veggies for fiber and added nutrients)
- milk (I personally like a small cup of 2% to hold me over between dinner and bedtime)
- fresh fruit juice
- tea/water (sometimes when you’re hungry you’re actually just thirsty! Check out my "Why Water is AWESOME" post :) )
- nuts (almonds, cashews, pistachio, etc)
- dry fruit (try to limit because it has a lot of sugar!)
- rice cakes/crackers
- dried seaweed
- kale/spinach/sweet potato chips
Try not to over-do it on the carbs—but as with everything else, moderation is key :)
Check out Eatmoreof.tumblr.com for more tips on getting healthy foods into your diet!